The Naval Service Reserve (NSR) is organized in five units, one each in Cork, Dublin, Limerick, Waterford and a Technical Support Unit.
The NSR augments the crews of Naval Service vessels during Operational patrols of Ireland EEZ. The NSR conducts its own stand-alone operations within their respective ports, such as sighting reports and intelligence gathering.
All Naval Service Reserve members fall under the Naval Service Executive Division (Seaman's Division).
The NSR is a part-time voluntary organization, and trains members in aspects of nautical and military disciplines to augment the Naval Service.
Reservists are liable to be called up on permanent service by ministerial order in times of emergency.
Naval Service Reserve History
The Naval Service Reserve (NSR) (Irish: Cúltaca na Seirbhíse Cabhlaigh) is the reserve force of the Irish Naval Service.
The NSR was established on 1 October 2005 to replace, An Slua Muirí, which in turn replaced the fore-runner Maritime Inscription founded in 1940 to act as a Port Control authority during The Emergency (WWII). Originally formed at Dublin’s Alexandra Basin, its headquarters was in Portobello barracks, now known as Cathal Brugha Barracks.