The Reserve Defence Force roles are those assigned to the Defence Forces:
- Defence against armed aggression.
- Aid to the Civil Power.
- Participation in Peace Support Operations.
- Fishery Protection.
- Other duties which may be assigned by Government.
Tasks are assigned to the RDF to support the PDF in fulfilling these roles. These include:
- Augmentation/reinforcement of the PDF.
- Provision of logistic support.
- Provision of armed escorts.
- Augmentation of Naval Service on fishery protection patrols.
- Staffing of Military Posts during periods of PDF deployment.
- Radiological Monitoring.
- Ceremonial Duties at national and local events.
In the majority of locations there is an infantry sub unit, a Company, of an Infantry Battalion. However, in Collins Barracks Cork and Cathal Brugha Barracks Dublin*, there are a number of other Corps such as Artillery, Cavalry, Communications and Information Services, Engineers, Military Police,Transport and Medics.
If you have a particular skill or interest in these areas, consider your preferred location prior to submitting your online application form . In particular the Medical Corps is looking for qualified medical personnel to join their ranks in Cork and Dublin.
*Please note that in Cathal Brugha Barracks there is an Infantry Coy and no Artillery unit. In this Bde the Artillery is located in Athlone.
|1 Brigade||2 Brigade||DFTC|
|Galway||McKee Barracks, Dublin||The Curragh|
|Mallow||Cathal Brugha Barracks, Dublin|
|Collins Barracks, Cork||Donegal|
Naval Service Reserve
Read more about the Organisation of the Defence Forces