The Reserve Defence Force roles are those assigned to the Defence Forces:
- Defence against armed aggression.
- Aid to the Civil Power.
- Participation in Peace Support Operations.
- Fishery Protection.
- Other duties which may be assigned by Government.
Tasks are assigned to the RDF to support the PDF in fulfilling these roles. These include:
- Augmentation/reinforcement of the PDF.
- Provision of logistic support.
- Provision of armed escorts.
- Augmentation of Naval Service on fishery protection patrols.
- Staffing of Military Posts during periods of PDF deployment.
- Radiological Monitoring.
- Ceremonial Duties at national and local events.
The Army Reserve consists of a three Brigade Reserve. These three Brigades are organised on a standard Infantry Brigade model and mirror the organisation of the PDF. Each unit within each Brigade has an affiliated PDF unit with which it has a direct working and support relationship.
An RDF Training Authority was also established in the Defence Forces Training Centre (DFTC) which co-ordinates and conducts reserve training.
Naval Service Reserve
The Naval Service Reserve is organised into two groups each consisting of two companies. These continue to be located in Dublin, Limerick, Cork and Waterford.
Army Reserve Total
Naval Service Reserve Total
Read more about the Organisation of the Defence Forces