The Garden of Remembrance

The Garden of Remembrance (An GairdÁn Cuimhneacháin) is a memorial garden dedicated to the memory of "all those who gave their lives in the cause of Irish Freedom". It is located in the former Rotunda Gardens in Parnell Square (formerly Rutland Square), a Georgian square at the northern end of O'Connell Street.

Commemoration

The Garden commemorates freedom fighters from various uprisings, including:

  • 1798 rebellion of the Society of United Irishmen
  • 1803 rebellion of Robert Emmet
  • 1848 rebellion of Young Ireland
  • 1867 rising of the Fenian Brotherhood
  • 1916 Easter Rising of the Irish Volunteers and the Irish Citizen Army
  • 1919-21 Irish War of Independence of the "Old" IRA

The site of the Garden is where the Irish Volunteers were founded in 1913, and where several leaders of the 1916 Rising were held overnight before being taken to Kilmainham Gaol. The Garden was opened in 1966 by President Eamon de Valera on the fiftieth anniversary of the 1916 Easter Rising, in which he had been a commander.

Design

In Celtic custom, on concluding a battle, the weapons were broken and cast in the river, to signify the end of hostilities. The Garden was designed by DáithÁ Hanly. It is in the form of a sunken cruciform water-feature. Its focal point is a statue of the Children of Lir by OisÁn Kelly, symbolising rebirth and resurrection, added in 1971.

In 2004 it was suggested that as part of the redesign of the square the Garden of Remembrance itself might be redesigned. This led to the construction of a new entrance on the garden's northern side in 2007

Map of the Location


View Larger Map

 

Read More about Defence Forces Ceremonial

The Badge Design

The Badge design (common to all Corps and Services and all orders of dress) is derived from the badge of the Irish Volunteers and was designed by Professor Eoin MacNeill, Chairman of the National Executive of the Irish Volunteers. This badge was originally adopted by the Irish Volunteers in October 1914. [Read more]