Minimum Educational Qualifications
School Leavers must posses a minimum of Grade C3 in 3 Higher Level papers and Grade D3 in 3 Ordinary/Higher level papers, in a single sitting of the Leaving Certificate Examination. Leaving Certificate Applied does not qualify for this competition.
Each candidate for Naval Service Cadetships must possess a minimum of Grade D3 in the following Ordinary/Higher level subjects:
- Irish. (NUI Matriculation exemptions apply)
- English. (Candidates whose first language is not English must satisfy the English language requirements in accordance with the NUI Matriculations Regulations).
- Any three Matriculation subjects not already selected.
- UK & NI Applicants must posess the following-GCSE-Pass in 6 subjects AND 2 GCSE 'A' Levels
Graduates must possess as a minimum Grade D3 in the following Ordinary/Higher level subjects
- Irish or English
- Any four Matriculation subjects not already selected.
Must have obtained a recognised degree i.e. a Third Level Degree awarded up to the end of 2004. With effect from 2005 have successfully completed an Honours Bachelor Degree programme at pass or honours level (level 8 of the National Framework of Qualifications).
Naval Service Cadetships hold a Diploma with merit or distinction (from a recognised institution) in Nautical Science or Marine Engineering for Operations Branch and Engineering Branch Cadetships respectively as awarded to the end of 2004, or with effect from 2005, have successfully completed an ordinary degree course (level 7 of the National Framework of Qualifications) (from a recognised institution) in Nautical Science or Marine Engineering for Operations Branch and Engineering Branch Cadetships respectively.
Candidates who have attained educational qualifications outside of Ireland must possess the national equivalent of the Irish qualifications from the country they graduated from.
Please visit www.nui.ie to check your qualifications.